Saturday, June 21, 2014

Friends

Most of the time, I like the cards I make.  I wouldn't be sharing them with you if I didn't. Then--every once in a while--I surprise myself with a card I love.  Flat. Out. LOVE!  This is one of those cards.


Here's the supply list:

  • Stamps: CTMH Doodle Signs (chevron) and Designed Decor Frame Kit (sentiment)
  • Ink: CTMH Hollyhock pigment
  • Distress Stain: Tim Holtz Peeled Paint and Spun Sugar
  • Paper: CTMH Ariana
  • Accessories: doily, vellum paper, green thread, white sequins, CTMH Artiste Cricut Cartridge

To create the background stripe of chevrons, I started by drawing a faint pencil line across the paper to act as a guide. I then swiped Peeled Paint distress stain onto an acrylic block and stamped my chevron in it.  The stain puddled in some places and didn't cover in others, but that was the effect I intended. (Yes, every once in a while the sloppy things I do are on purpose from the beginning.)  When the chevrons dried, I swiped the Spun Sugar Distress Stain directly onto the paper.  The chevrons bled a little but not significantly.

The butterfly was cut with my Artiste Cricut cartridge at 1.5 inches.  My Explore lines everything at the top of the mat, so I placed my Ariana paper with the ZipStrip edge along the top a skosh--and I do mean a teensy, tiny skosh--below the top grid line of the mat.  Like the sloppy chevrons, this effect was planned from the beginning. (I'm tellin' ya, I was on a ROLL!)

I sewed everything down leaving all the threads hanging except those on the butterfly and the far right edge of the sentiment.

I am linking it up to Fusion and CAS(E) this Sketch since they inspired my jumping off point; however, I went more collage style than clean and simple.

Here's one of the reasons I love this card so much: It's for a very special lady who is leaving Fort Sill for a new duty assignment.  She has been an absolute joy to know and has forever changed me.  Whenever I entertain from now on, my guiding principle will be "What Would Mona Do?"  You can't walk into this woman's home without feeling treasured.  She lavishes love on her guests.  But, then again, she lavishes love on you if you see her in the Commissary, or at church, or at a coffee.

So, even though the deadline for my novella is rushing to meet me, I needed to take time to lavish a little love on my friend.

Until next time,
Becca

3 comments:

  1. Love this card and know Mona will love it, also! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stitching with the threads hanging down! Colors are wonderful! I'm sure your friend will treasure this card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, your style is beautiful and I love this card!

    Also, I posted a reply to your comment on Design Space, but I thought I'd put it here as well:

    Becca - yes, you're correct, multi-layer images do count as one number; however, there are still images that don't appear (and as I mentioned, Cricut did confirm that not all have been coded). But thank you for pointing that out because that would change the overall total. Also, I found a blog where someone labelled the Cricut booklets with the image numbers, so it makes searching even easier - http://thenon-craftycrafter.blogspot.com/p/image-codes.html. And you're right - once the trial is over, there will be less images. But I do have a lot of cartridges linked to Design Space, so I'll still have to search through a lot. Plus, I don't always know what to call an image, so I am very grateful for that file with the image numbers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!