Thursday, March 12, 2015

Happy (to be ready for) Mother's Day

Last Thursday, in my post for design team duties at Stampin' Buds, I said the Happy to be Friends set in the soon-to-expire Seasonal Expressions catalog is extremely versatile.  As promised, this week I have a card (with a variation) using it.


Last week, you saw how I bent the Doodled Designs circle to fake a small circle on this card.  Here, I bent the oval wreath from Happy Mail into a circle before adding elements from Happy to be Friends on top.  This card could very easily be adapted using the circle from Doodled Designs as the background wreath (which is why, even though I don't actually use it, I've included the shopping link below).  You might need to use a second generation of the Pear ink, though, because the stronger heft of the Doodled Design circle means using a lighter color.

I'm a bit...hmmm...obsessive compulsive is the nice way to say it.  It bothered me that "Mother's Day" wasn't centered under "Happy".  The small cluster of flowers - which I didn't want to move or leave off - was going to hide the first few letters.   My next thought was to put "Mother's Day" further to the right, but then it would cross over the wreath, and I didn't like that.  It really bugged me.  Like I said, obsessive compulsive.  So here's my solution using the banner that also comes from Happy Mail:


Because I was adding the banner after the card was already assembled, but I still wanted it to have some dimension, I glued the left end of the banner under the Thistle Striped Ribbon and used Foam Tape on the right end.  It gives the banner a wave which I think is a pretty cool happy accident.

Another great thing is that the dimension won't get smushed in the mail.  Between the give in Foam Tape and the slight bit of depth to the Thistle Striped Ribbon knot (which isn't moving because Liquid Glass is magic), the banner is protected.

If you don't have the Happy Mail set, there are very similar banners in several other sets (Lifting Spirits, for example, which is why I included it in the shopping link below).

Lots of fussy cutting on this card, but so worth the effort.  And I love how the cutesy Confetti Wishes paper takes on a classy but still vibrant feel on this card.

If you are new to stamping and want one set that will get lots of mileage, Happy to be Friends is perfect. It covers every occasion for which we send cards except Father's Day.  However, if you're like me, you will want to add something that has a circle shape for a background wreath so you don't have to pencil draw one.

I'll be back next week with another card using this same set.  So many possibilities!

Until next time,
Becca


1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful, Becca.Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!