Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Writer's World Wednesday - Cows and Cowboys

As I've said in previous posts, I have another contract with Barbour Publishing for a novella collection called The Cowboy's Bride which will release in March of 2016.  My story is set on a ranch.  With cowboys.  And cows!

I, of course, am your typical city slicker who's never been closer to a cow than the stall at the county fair.  I know nothing--N-O-T-H-I-N-G!--about cows or horses or cowboys or ranching.

Enter a God-ordained trip to see a friend that just happens to result in a visit to a real working ranch which has been owned by the same family since 1918.  Although many of the techniques and tools have changed, many of them are the same.  And, like any good rancher, every tool has been saved and still hangs on the walls of his tack room.  He took me around his barn, let me climb up to the hay loft, drove me out to his pasture, showed me the various grasses, talked me through wooly loco, and even let me borrow a book and a couple films he thinks will help me.

Earlier this year, before I officially got this contract, I visited with a young man whose mom used to be my choir director when we lived in Washington State.  He's now grown with kids of his own (sure...make me feel old!).  He was a rodeo cowboy for a few years and talked to me about some of the tricks of his craft.

Even though I am still pulling words out of my fingers like teeth out of my gums, I'm confident that God is working behind the scenes to help me bring things together.  You just don't get these kinds of connections without there being something bigger working for you.

Until next time,
Becca

1 comment:

  1. I hope your book goes well. Isn't it amazing how God drops what we need into our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!