Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Alaska Wild

Heart 2 Heart has a fun challenge this week: Throwback. Since we are welcoming a new commander to Alaska this month, I thought I'd pull out "Unis the Moose" from way back.


I started by stamping another oldie-but-goodie "Pine Trees" in Topiary, Flaxen, and Ponderosa Pine. Then I sponged the same colors on the ground and stamped "Grass Cluster" (another old stamp image) in Flaxen and second generation Topiary. The sky was sponged with Glacier ink.  Appropriate for Alaska, don't you think? 

When the scenic background was done, I used MFT Inside & Out Stitched Rectangle STAX to die cut it down to a 3.25x4.5" panel.

The sentiment comes from "Wild Wonders," a baby-themed set that retired about a year ago. I stamped it in Momento Rich Cocoa using my MISTI so I could re-ink and stamp again several times to get a nice, crisp image.  I stamped it four times, but the difference between three and four wasn't really worth it.

I tied some twine around the bottom third of my die cut scene and foam mounted it to a 4x5.25 panel of white cardstock that was glued to a dark brown card base. I actually think the brown cardstock is old DOTS paper, but it's been so long now I forget exactly where it came from.

Unis was stamped in Momento Rich Cocoa ink and colored with Copic markers. I fussy cut her out and added lots of foam tape to the back being careful to leave empty patches for the twine to fit underneath Unis' legs. After she was mounted, I slipped an extra couple small bits of foam tape under her nose and antler where it extends past the scenic panel.

I'll be giving this to the new commander's wife along with a copy of my novella "Letters from Santa" that is set in nearby North Pole to welcome them to Fort Wainwright. With any luck, the moose that wanders through post every once in a while will make an appearance to offer her welcome, too.

Until next time,
Becca

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am in love with this card! The background you have created is wonderful, and I love how you have paired the baby stamp set sentiment with a moose! Thanks for joining us at H2H challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this card. Your background is stunning, the Moose is adorable. I love it! Thanks for playing along with H2H!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!